Monday, April 11, 2005

Kick-Ass Chocolate Chip Cookies

Despite my best efforts to tighten up my diet and eating habits, every so often a girl needs a cookie. But not just any cookie - only the worlds best chocolate chip cookie will do when the urge strikes. And when it strikes, it strikes HARD. So yesterday afternoon I decided to make a batch of these delicious treats and got my kids involved in helping. Nicholas loved it. It was his job to pour the various ingredients into the mixer, and he took his responsibility very seriously. And of course, each child got to lick a beater when we were finished. That was the extent of Lauren's contribution - licking a beater - but she sat poised on the stool next to her brother the entire time just waiting for that. As usual, these cookies turned out perfectly, satisfying my craving like a charm. So I thought it only fair to share the recipe with everyone. I wish I could claim it as my own, but I got it from my friend, Maraya, whose thing is baking. She's got a knack for it and these cookies are proof. So enjoy!

KICK-ASS CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
pre-heat oven to 350

1 1/2 sticks of butter - softened (don't use margarine - butter is far superior)
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 - 3/4 cup peanut butter - creamy style (not chunky).

Mix the above ingredients until smooth, then add:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 - 3/4 cup oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
chocolate chips - quantity is up to you! (I find a whole bag to be too much - maybe 1/2 - 3/4 bag of chips is perfect.)

The dough will be thick - almost too thick for my mixer. Granted, it's an old mixer, but still, the dough is thick. This is the way it's supposed to be. I don't need to use spoons to drop the dough onto the baking sheet - I use my hands and roll it into a ball (that way the cookies turn out perfectly round). Bake each batch for 8-10 min. They are soft, chewy and utterly delicious! I KNOW you and your family will LOVE these cookies - that's a promise. And using ingredients like whole wheat flour and wheat germ really cuts down on the guilt factor when you eat waaayyyy more than you should because they just taste so damn good!


Comments:
YUM, I cannot wait to try this recipe. Mackenzie has to take a treat to a dance Friday night, so I will baking these soon. Thanks!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Free Counters
Hit Counters

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?