Friday, May 06, 2005

Married IM'ing

Mr. Chick and I tend to do some of our best "talking" via Instant Message. We had to lose our cell phones to the student budget constraints (although Mr. Chick isn't really a "phone" person, unlike me...), and IM'ing is one of the only ways for me to reach him while he's at school. Sometimes he's chattier on IM than in person. It's how I told him I was pregnant with Lauren! So the other day he took Nicholas to his barber for a much-needed haircut. For the both of them. I've taken Nicholas to get his hair cut, but apparently the places I've taken him aren't the "real deal" kind of barber. This barber is old-school. A man's place that's been around for an eternity. Complete with the old codger barber and the Playboy on the magazine rack. So for some reason taking Nicholas there with him was a big, momentous deal. This is our IM about it. I thought it was quite telling (and a little funny).

Mr. Chick says:
can I tell you that I felt like such a proud dad taking him into the shop.

Mama_MP says:
and ran mostly all the way to the car, too. that's why he's sleeping. Of course, Lauren hasn't exactly been idle all day and she's still on a rampage.

Mr. Chick says:
I feel like I'm still glowing.

Mama_MP says:
oh yeah - you're one proud papa!

Mama_MP says:
now you sound like a girl

Mama_MP says:
"glowing" - ha!

Mr. Chick says:
ya ya. I found it fun

Mr. Chick says:
and it is still putting a smile on my face

Mama_MP says:
that's because it IS fun to see your kid do such grown-up stuff. I like it, too.

Mr. Chick says:
btw... they were repulsed by the fact that he gets his hair cut at places like super cuts

Mr. Chick says:
I think I'll take him in there from now on.

Mama_MP says:
duh - did you expect them to support the idea of patronizing the competition??

Mr. Chick says:
with me.

Mama_MP says:
I love that idea. You take over the hair scene.

Mr. Chick says:
whatever... they are great guys.

Mama_MP says:
btw - what did they charge for Nick?

Mr. Chick says:
I like getting my hair cut there.

Mr. Chick says:
I don't know. I just gave them 26 for the both of us

Mr. Chick says:
it is usually 12 each

Mr. Chick says:
he seemed happy


I thought the part where Mr. Chick didn't even know what they charged him was especially interesting to me because this is a guy who makes a big deal about what things cost, usually. I try to watch every dollar spent, mostly because he does. That's not to say he's cheap, but he's careful about money. So when the whole experience of taking his son to the barber overwhelmed his usual tendency to be knowing what things cost, I just had to shake my head. Men. And of course I had to give him a bad time about all the "glowing" he was doing. Maybe he really IS Mr. Chick after all!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Free Counters
Hit Counters

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?