Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Frog Song

Each night as I tumble, exhausted, into my bed (which is still just the mattresses thrown on the floor with the frame sitting neglected and dismantled across the room), I am lulled to sleep not by the crickets as before, but by the throaty rrribbbittt rrribbbitttt of the nearby frogs. They sing their lullaby to me every night. I've never lived somewhere that had frogs so close you could hear them. They drown out the chirping crickets, the evening sound of which I'm most familiar. Surprisingly, I like it. I don't find it annoying, but soothing. The new sound of night at home.

I'm not sure where the little reptilian songbirds actually dwell as I've never caught of glimpse of them - yet. But they're close, and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before one, or both, of my kids manages to catch one and proudly bring the slimy critter home to show me. To which I'll do my best not to freak out (because ewww! slimy things stay OUT!) but calmly ask said child to put the frog back outside so s/he can continue to sing us to sleep.

Comments:
I can't remember-- do you guys have a basement in your new home? I would hear them croaking at night and one day I found a ton of them in our window wells. I rescued all of them before they baked in the sun. Then had window well covers installed. Now, I think they hang out in the bushes.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Free Counters
Hit Counters

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?